Here is a checklist that reviews some of the points discussed in this guideline. You can use it to prepare for an interview or as a starting point for creating your own interview, checklist. By following these guidelines, you can improve your interviewing techniques, evaluate candidates more effectively, and make better hiring decisions.
Before the interview:
- Decide on the specific skills and qualities required by the position.
- Define your company’s value system.
- Define the goals of the interview.
- Prepare an outline or a list of questions for the interview.
- Review the candidate’s resume and credentials.
During the interview
- Don’t rely solely on first impressions.
- Be flexible, but use your outline to make sure you cover every point.
- Make the candidate feel comfortable; be friendly, but be professional.
- Verify the information on the resume.
- Communicate clearly and accurately. Keep questions and answers specific.
- Use open-ended questions to explore the candidate’s character traits and thought processes.
- Be consistent; ask candidates for the same position the same kinds of questions.
After the interview
- Make detailed notes as soon as the interview is over.
- Provide detailed feedback to your recruiter so they can prepare the next steps with the candidate or narrow their searching for additional candidates.
Other Candidate Interviewing Resources:
- 5 Interviewing Tips to Hire Exceptional Talent
- Quick Interviewer’s Review Checklist
- Candidate Interview Evaluation Form